Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:33 PM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)

I must really be settled in now. I feel like it at least because now I'm finally at a point where I can have a day here that I could have anywhere in the world. I spent my whole day organizing my room and organizing my computer files and watching CollegeHumor podcasts. I've become slightly addicted to CollegeHumor podcast since I don't have access to constant free Internet that would allow me to watch videos online and the disc drive on my computer stopped working again. These videos are pretty much the only form of visual entertainment I have. It's a little weird to go from constant access to almost none. Oh well.


Had dinner with friends. It was good. We observed that a good number of the African students smell. I've learned in the past that bathing every day is a very American impulse and that our society is unduly obsessed with hygiene but it's different when you live outside of it. I suppose my feeling is that I don't care if you bathe every day but if I can get close to you/come into your room and tell immediately that you don't then that's a problem. The only thing that should be funky is your rhymes…


Not trying to bad mouth folks, just recording some observations.

Tomorrow is the first day of class. I'm ready to get rolling. Been doing a lot of thinking and planning for the future. I realized that I'm credit-wise very close to my bachelor's. I'm thinking I'll probably apply for a 4+1 at Vandy so I can get a Master's in English and then move on to get the Ph.D. (probably in African American Studies). That's the plan for now…We shall see.


"like 9 cans of shaving powder…that's funky"

-the ohio players


peace,

nate

No comments: