Monday, July 26, 2010

Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:55 AM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)

There's nothing like a good haircut…except a good haircut for 20 Rand (about 2 dollars). I got my hair cut today at this booth downtown. I must admit I was skeptical. I basically got my hair cut in a tool shed, but it was a pretty good cut. That was pretty much the highlight of my day. Also found out that a ton of stores in Cape Town close earlier on Saturdays, which is weird.


Had McDonald's today. It takes just like American McD's but better because the food tastes a little fresher and like it might be made of actual food. Not a ton happened today really. I did a decent bit of planning and I should comfortably finish my degree a semester early. Hopefully I can use the Spring of my senior year to do Master's study or at least take two classes that I'm interested in and do them both Pass/Fail. Also did some research on Ph.D. programs today. I'm going to have to start giving things a more thorough look. It's getting fairly close to when I have to make some of these decisions.


Cooked myself dinner today.  Went out with some friends. That was pretty boring though. Had a good conversation with a friend about Black linguistics and how even in America black people are multilingual in a way that most have to learn to navigate two very different cultural worlds that speak in very different ways. For some kids in our educational system it really does make it more difficult for them to do subjects such as reading or romance languages at the level of white peers. I have some thoughts fermenting there but I'm not sure for now.


"what up kinfolk? its been years since we been spoke…"

-free speech


peace,

nate

No comments: