Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:56 AM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)

A bit of an unwind from yesterday's long entry. And just in case folks are wondering most South Africans I've met are very friendly and cool, even the ones who say or do things that make me uncomfortable. But anyway about today…

I had class. Learned some things. Blah blah blah. Had lunch with a bunch of people. That was pretty interesting actually. It was a few Americans I didn't know as well as a cat from the Caribbean and a girl from Nigeria (both of whom go to school in Paris). Once I left there I went to get on a waiting list in the English Department but got totally sidetracked.

Outside of the building there was a freestyle cipher going on. Immediately I had to go over and listen in. Some of the cats in the cipher were pretty good so I hopped in and started rapping also. We traded beatboxes and freestyles for about 45 minutes. It was great. I got one of the cats number. Apparently some of them are working on a mixtape and actually record in a room in my dorm! I was pretty happy to find some MCs and they get together to cipher every Wednesday at that time so I know I have a steady outlet. Maybe I'll be able to cut a record or two while I'm here. If nothing else the fact that I was able to walk into a cipher is something that would never happen at Vandy. That was very tight.  I got some of their info. Hopefully I'll be able to see some local shows and get a feel for the scene here. That's all for now. I'm sleepy and the rest of my day wasn't worth mentioning.

"going each and every place with the mic in my hand"

-a tribe called quest

peace,

nate

 

No comments: