Sunday, August 1, 2010

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:50 AM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)

So yesterday was a cipher. Today was a whole show. lol. Found out that there's basically some type of show or concert at UCT every Thursday during lunch. Today Blackberry hosted a poetry and rap contest. I didn't realize it until too late to sign up but I talked to the host and he let me get on and spit afterwards. It felt good to get on stage again and it's probably the biggest crowd I've been in front of since BNV finals '08 (it was like a few hundred people at least). Spit half of the intro from my EP. 'Twas a good time.

I got a chance to talk to the poet who kicked off the show. Apparently he's the slam champ in South Africa but I didn't think he was that nice. I'd definitely be interested to hear more stuff hear though. The host of the show was rocking a black on black Bulls fitted and some Jordans. I felt hella at home. At the end there was a South African rapper who did a few songs. He seemed like he was kinda popular. He was decent. I liked his energy but it was really kinda funny to see how similar it is. They looked like our MCs, used similar beats, and even some of our slang and such. In a way its really cool but in a way I'd be interested to see them make it more their own.

Class was pretty basic. Went to dinner with a bunch of folks in my program which was pretty cool and then went to a lounge. Today was pretty chill all around.

Also today was the first time all of my flatmates and I have sat around and chilled for an extended period. It was pretty cool. We talked music, sports, and all that good stuff. I really like all of them. Indeed.

"whos so cold his shows require a coat?"

-defcee

peace,

nate

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Jessica Dean said...

Nate,
I've been trying to figure out what's the best format in which to let you know that I'm a fan. The music, the consistent knowledge you drop, the journey you're on, it's all very inspirational. Great work with Langston Huge, your poems have been dope from jump, and this blog and your commitment to it always makes me want to step my game up.

just thought you should know,
stay amazing
jt