Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Monday, August 9, 2010, 2:36 AM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)

Today was pretty good. Finished this book called Matigari for my African Literature class. The book definitely went hard a bit on American and European influence in Africa, which is fair. I really dug it though. The author was Kenyan and in the front of the book he wrote a note for the American version of the book. He was in exile in America but he was sure to make clear that the book was originally written in his mother tongue. The decision to write the book in that language was a very political one to him rather than simply writing in a more universal colonial language. At the time of the note the book was banned in Kenya and he talked about the sad irony that the book and its author were in exile from homeland.

Other than that I didn't do much. Had some pretty good sushi. Wrote a ton of stuff for my personal use and also talked a lot to people back home. I wrote a bit of a manifesto on how to revamp and improve the Black Student Alliance at Vanderbilt. I'll keep refining that and submit my ideas eventually. I think I've realized why I manage to be such a productive person. I tend to procrastinate by doing things of worth so instead of doing homework I don't watch TV but I write poems to publish or make plans. I try to make most of my time work for me. I think that's an important thing to do in life. Even your entertainment should enrich you on some level I think.

no quote…just listen to the song "why is that" by boogie down productions. the whole thing.

peace,

nate  

No comments: