Monday, August 9, 2010

Sunday, August 8, 2010, 1:00 AM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)

Today went by pretty fast. Went to the library to check out a book for class. When I went I walked from my dorm to campus. It was actually kind of comforting to me to walk around alone and to watch people the same ways that I do back home. Seeing people live is the most beautiful thing to me.

After the library I went to a café and then hung out at my dorm. I went to see the movie Inception with some friends. That movie is so crazy. It was good but it made me think about the way so many things in our life that we consider so real (coughracecough) are constructed by other people for their personal devices. Not saying that I think it's necessarily that heinous or deliberate (though the creation of race as a rationalization for slavery/colonialism was) but it does make you consider some things.

That was really most of my day. Got an email from Kevin Coval which made my day. Also talked to my young homie Sebastian from Nashville. Talking to both of them made me think about where I've been as a writer and where I'm going and the work in both of those places. Sebastian especially really makes me think. Whenever we talk he always is so hungry for information on how to take himself to the next level as a writer, performer, and scholar. I think that's what it takes. That desire to improve and to make impactful work is really half the battle. The other half is what Coval says. It's about ignoring the fallacy of the genius and the muse and doing the work of telling stories and of writing.

"im not the best to do it, i just do it the best"

-punchline

peace,

nate

ps.

Vote for "Fool" by Daily Lyrical Product to win today's Chicago RedEye "Track-Off"! Thanks! http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/kyles-files/

 

No comments: