Friday, August 13, 2010

Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 11:45 PM Cape Town Time- My Dorm (LBG)


            Today was decent. It started off really great. I found out that this alumni organization from my old high school is going to cosponsor a scholarship program I want to start. The program will be called the Lost Count Scholarship Fund (LCSF) and the organization is called Whitney Young Dolphins Making a Difference (WYDMAD). I'm really excited about the possibilities for the program and that I'll be able to see a dream of mine since I left the city come to fruition.

            Class today was pretty standard. I have a different professor in my history class now. He is White South African. I don't know if it's the time period we've run into or just his emphasis but today I felt like we really didn't talk about Black people except in passing. Perhaps I'm just being sensitive but in a lot of ways it reminded me of the way history was taught to me in high school and elementary school. Ah well.

Had the cipher today also. I could only stay for a short period of time but it was good. It's great to have a weekly space to stay sharp with it. I know I get rusty at times being at Vandy and I feel myself getting more dexterous off the top of my head every week here. I also notice people have a tendency to kind of focus on me when I rhyme. I don't know if it's because I'm American or because I have a distinctive flow or what. Who knows?

Today I volunteered at the youth prison for the first time. It was pretty fun. Most of the boys were Coloured and spoke Afrikaans. We played some games and by the end they really got into it and became more cooperative. It was a good time. They were the youngest group. I think they were around 13 or 14.

Makes me think about the things I can do back home to help as well. From trying to start this fund to volunteering to just helping young men with their college applications. I feel called to help young people, especially young men of color.

"if it comes a time and you aint feelin ya real dad, put my face on his body"

-jay-z

peace,

nate

No comments: